Monday, April 20, 2009

Anne's Autobiography for Week 3

The first time a book really affected me was when I was in my youth. My mom and I were travelling home from her sister's house. She used to let me read to her on road trips. Reading aloud to others, by the way, completely improved my literacy. Anyways, I read Cynthia Voigt's novel entitled, Homecoming. I remember that the book involves four main characters; in addition, they are siblings. Left by their mother, the siblings must travel to find their only living relative. They venture out and must learn to take care of one another and must come to terms with being their own parents. This book made a difference in my life because it helped change my perspective. My perspective changed from taking my family for granted to being grateful that I have a mother and family that loves me. I became baffled by the ways in which the children creatively tended to each other. Homecoming helped me to be humble about my family and spending time with them.
Books were prevalent in my childhood home. My mother stressed the importance of reading and playing outside. Rarely, were my sister and I able to watch television, for long periods of time. My mother, as a teacher had a significant amount of access to many pieces of literature. Having said that, she would bring home all sorts of books for me to read. My family has always spoken about literature at the dining room table. Furthermore, we all exchange our latest reads.
The most recent book that I read, with most appeal is Anne Lamott's book, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith. I enjoyed reading this book because it explains a significant amount of life's lessons, which are learned. One of my favorite quotes from this book is, "...loving your enemies is non-negotiable. It meant trying to respect them, it meant identifying with their humanity and weaknesses. It didn't mean unconditional acceptance of their crazy behavior. They were still accountable for the atrocities they'd perpetrated, as you were accountable for yours But you worked at doing better, at loving them, for their profoundest spiritual reason: You were trying not to make things worse"(Lamott, 225). Lamott enables her reader to get a grip of their life; indeed, she relates to issues her reader may be encountering. For a long while, I had this expectation that people were always going to be there; in addition, that people would fulfill all my expectations. Fact is, we are all human and we make mistakes. I finally grasped this concept after I looked at the expectations and commitments I had made to people and sought out if I fulfilled those expectations. Lamott enables her reader to let go of resentments and regrets; to enable one to really start living one's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment